Police paid adoption leave is available to officers who adopt and comprises:
- 5 days (1 week) paid leave, irrespective of length of service.
- From the 1st April 2007, officers with 26 weeks service, but less than one year continuous service at time of notification of being matched with a child, are eligible for a further 38 weeks adoption leave paid at statutory adoption pay rate (£112.75 per week)
- All Officers who have over one year continuous service are entitled to full pay for the first 13 weeks adoption leave, then up to 26 weeks statutory adoption pay.
- Any Police paid or statutory adoption paid leave taken is pensionable, reckonable for incremental pay and leave purposes and for inclusion in any period of probationery service.
- To qualify for adoption leave an officer must be newly matched with a child for adoption by an adoption agency and does not include circumstances where a stepparent adopts their partner’s children.