Further to the flight restrictions recently imposed for certain countries, here is an update on cover for you:
- The British Government has announced a cabin baggage ban on larger electronic devices on direct passenger flights to the UK from Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, Tunisia and Saudi Arabia.
- The ban applies to any device larger than 16cm long, 9.3cm wide or 1.5 cm deep and includes tablets, e readers and DVD players following a similar move by the U.S. affecting 8 countries
- Affected devices will need to be placed into hold luggage.
- 6 UK and 8 overseas carriers are affected and the Government has said that it is up to individual airlines to decide when to begin enforcing the ban.
- All travel policies underwritten by Aviva currently exclude loss or damage to these items, unless they are carried in hand luggage while travelling.
The policyholders first port of call, in the situation where they need to make a claim should be to contact the airline/tour operator as the responsibility ultimately would be theirs. However, if they are unsuccessful in reaching a resolution Aviva have agreed to provide cover – but this is only applicable to flights departing the countries affected by the ban.
We are grateful to Aviva for agreeing the provision of cover in these circumstances and hope it meets with your approval. I will update you if there are any changes going forward.